Tuesday 12 January 2010

Manjari S Sharma


















All images © Manjari S Sharma

Above are a few choice images from Manjari S Sharma´s lovely project The Shower Series. She recently emailed me the work and this is what she said:

"For the last few months I have been inviting people to visit me and allow me to photograph them in a very intimate space; my bathroom. I have also been inviting them to take a shower as I continue to shoot them. The warm water running over my subjects bodies often seemed to relieve them of any awkwardness the camera brought about. The bathroom, formerly a beauty parlour became a confessional and I the hair dresser, with my subjects divulging intimate details of their life. This project has thus far given rise to some of the most disarming relationships I have formed. I look forward to these images leading the way as the project continues."

"I was born and raised in Mumbai, India, A terrific country, but I guess you have to go away to love again," says Manjari. Chasing photography is what brought Manjari to the US in 2001; She graduated in 2004 but moved back to India to reconnect with her roots. Manjari moved to New York City in late 2007 and some of her recent achievements include 8 honourable mentions at the Lucie awards. Manjari was recognized as a winner for the NYC Strand Photo contest in 2009. Manjari's work has been included in Centre for Fine Art photography, NYC Slideluck Potshow 2009 and her image was selected for the PDN photo of the day bog in Nov '09. Manjari was one of six people selected for an exclusive workshop with Jorg Colberg and Robert Lyons in fall 2009 and her work is scheduled to be featured on NYMphoto blog and Burn magazine in early 2010. Manjari's on going shower series will be spotlighted as a feature for PDN.EDU for their spring 2010 issue and her current selected clients include AOL, American baby, Penguin Books and AARP. Manjari currently lives and freelances in New York.